Sunday, June 12, 2011

Annoyed

So on Friday I chose to leave out some of the things that I am really annoyed about. First off, when you diaper a spica cast you cannot simply just put one diaper in the cast - doesn't work.  When I went to change Harlow's diaper to leave the hospital - with our own diapers because they never even thought to ask if I wanted to change her for the hour car ride home, her cast was ALREADY soaked with pee!!!!  When they did the cast change they left all the cotton stuffing hang out the diaper hole to keep the cast edge from rubbing they didn't think to tuck the ONE diaper they used inside the cotton.  Needless to say when she pee'd instead of it soaking into the diaper it soaked into all the cotton and just sucked right up inside the cast. I was pretty mad at the hospital and even the nurse couldn't believe they did that.  So when we came home I tried to pull out as much of the cotton and pee soaked insides as I could and then I dried the rest with a cool hair dryer though.  What makes me really mad is that because of their sheer laziness in the operating room my child now smells like pee and it will only get worse in the next 6 weeks.

My second complaint about the cast change is that the Post-Recovery area was out of moleskin.  Our nurse only discovered this after I asked if I could get the moleskin to wrap her cast.  You need moleskin to wrap all the edges of the cast because without it the edges are sharp and will scratch skin but also snag on everything.  So, she told us we would have to wait at LEAST an hour for someone to bring the moleskin up.  I was not about to make Harlow sit in the hospital for at least an extra hour because they aren't prepared.  I luckily had a little moleskin left at home and then Saturday I went and spent $22.50 on more moleskin at a local medical supply store.

Thirdly, her diaper hole is about 2.5" inches wide.  How is she supposed to poo and not get it on the cast with a diaper hole that small.  I mean seriously you idiots!  Clearly the person putting the new cast on has never had to clean a sh*tty diaper. It was very clear to me this time that a medical student did the cast and was not properly supervised (WTH!!!!)

Oh yes there is one more complaint (Sorry!!).  Her new cast is just as tight on her skin as her old cast was at 6 weeks.  She has no room to grow in the cast.  Her first cast was bigger around and gave her more room to grow.  She was starting to complain about some parts of her old cast getting tight during the last week. So I can only imagine how quickly she will be outgrowing this one. 

I fully intend on calling her doctors office tomorrow and having a royal fit with them on all of these items.  It is absolutely ridiculous!  She isn't supposed to have a post-op appointment until next Monday but they will be seeing her this week. Ugh! They drive me insane!!

Harlow had her Child Dedication last night at Church.  It went really well.  She was so cute!!! She was quite talkative last night, but thankfully after the service everyone kept saying how cute she was and how she has such a sweet voice!  I was so embarrassed when the Pastor asked to hold Harlow to pray.  All I could think of was that he was probably wondering why she smelled like pee!!  Well, Pastor Hall if you are reading this then you now know why, because her cast was not properly taken cast of during the change - not because I don't keep my child clean! 

Madness....Complete Madness going on here this weekend!

1 comment:

  1. oh wow im so sorry for you they can fix the cast since they messed it up? i hope your dr gets it all striaghtened out for you.

    ReplyDelete